Life worth living

Capturing the thoughts and moments that make me smile, cry, laugh and sing. Isn't that what makes life worth living?!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore

Monday, February 23, 2009

The Great Indian Voyage Contd. (3)

Hisar, Haryana – the land of plenty and home of the Jats

Imagine a land where wholesomeness overflows in every morsel of food, every breath of air and every heart….. a cornucopia of rich culture, harvests, weather, beasts and men. That is the northern land of Punjab and Haryana for you

My first memory of Haryana was seeing a sign at the back of a truck that said: “No but, only Jat” :) In my travels here, I realized that indeed, just like this rustic sense of humor, these people too are very simple. Jats are a warrior caste of the north who have been eternally famous of their vigorous strength, robust courage, keen sense of warfare and a warm and open heart. Sumit – my friend – embodies many of these attributes.

We reached Hisar around midnight and just crashed into bed. I was so sleepy that the harsh cold, the new house nothing registered. When I woke the next morning and put my foot on the floor and jumped up with shock did I realize that this place was so cold! It was still winter out here and I was still ill prepared. Meeting Sumit’s family was a pleasure. His mom and dad, his aunts and cousins and his grand-mom - they’re a joint family of businessmen.

Now what I’m about to describe to you may amaze (or rather gross) you out. But trust me it was totally fun. The morning began with a very typical Punjabi breakfast – three delicious, large and heavy paranthas with homemade awesome butter and yogurt. I was in a happy place by the time I’d finished breakfast. The off we went – Sumit and I – to take in the sights of Hisar. The “sights” here turned out to be all food places. According to Sumit, Hisar is a place people come to have awesome food. So we began our “foodathon” with “Nimbu-Jeera with soda” followed by “Maalpuri with Rabdi” given company by “Khasta Kachori” chased down by some very refreshing “Gol-gappe” and topped by a juicy fruit called “Rasbhari”……… And then it was time for lunch!
The moment we got a call from home saying “khana lag gaya ji” we drove back home. The table was creaking under mounds of dishes and the house smelled like what Hogwarts dining hall would at the welcome feast! There was fresh hot rotis just off the stove and rajma and mutter ki daal and kachundar ka raita and bhindi ki sabzi and green salad and gajar ka halwa! Oh boy, I have never consumed so much food in so short a time span! I was so, so full of warm food inside me that I could neither sit nor sleep. I asked Sumit if we could just go on a food-free walk around the town!  So we went strolling and driving around Hisar seeing the town, its universities and sights. In the evening, Sumit’s mum had made my personal favorite of all Punjabi dishes – Makke di roti aur Sarson da saag along with Maalpuri and rabdi followed by a juicy Calcutta Masala Paan that we picked up at the town’s panwari. Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I had eaten more than a mid size dinosaur in a day and I was all ready to sleep it over!

We left Hisar early next morning for Delhi to catch a flight back to Hyderabad. It was sad to leave the place. Just in a day, I had felt warm and cared for. It was my own magical land of endless nourishing food and happy memories.

And so, I reached back at ISB. Late night all tired from the journey back to my room in Student Village 3. This had been the longest and most variegated journey I had been on in India. From home to b-school campus to open country, I had seen it all and enjoyed it. From cramped autorickshaws to crazy taxi-drivers to cramped airplanes, I had travelled it all. From home made Maharashtrian food to Le Meridien to homemade Punjabi food, I had eaten it all.

It shall remain my Great Indian Voyage for times to come.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good post... Going to be scared of going to Sumit's place now!

4:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

first, how on earth can u eat soooo much???
second, whats the obssession with history :D i relly tried hard to dip in the history thing but its difficult man...
third, its "no if, no but, only jat :D..."
lastly, awesome experiences... i am not sure if i wud ve done so much sight seeing in 2 weeks :D (actually coming to think of it, i did - in USA :))))...)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Vidhya said...

abbe khata hai ki mazak karta hai..am truly shocked..just to even think that a human being can eat so much..in a day..wondrous thing the human body I say :)..

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home